Monday, January 17, 2011

Insight and Inspiration

I am a very fast reader,  I am not trying to brag about my skill- just a simple fact!  As I read through the pages it plays out like a movie in my imagination.  But, just like watching a movie for the first time  - there are things I miss and when I read it again - it's still fun because I notice new things, or catch a part of the plot that I didn't before.  I tend to read my scriptures the same way- as a full length history movie being acted out.  This last time I have been reading I decided to force myself to go slowly (hard!) and to purposly think about the real people - things going on at the time - read between the lines - and try to picture it as real people in a real place and time- because that is exactly what is happening!! What an amazing difference!!

A few days ago I got to the part where the Brother of Jared and His family are on  the seashore preparing their barges for the journey across the ocean to the promised land.  They were camped for four years! I thought why did the Lord have them wait so long? Were they just so tired from traveling, and need a good long rest? Did it take that long to build 8 barges?   The answer was soon clear.... they were traveling in those barges for 344 DAYS!!!  WOW! I think they spent that 4 years preparing for that long voyage- talk about getting a years supply of food storage huh? They also could not cook out at sea - or plant gardens - and they had lots of animals with them (that had to be fun underwater during a storm).  As a side note- they were always singing and praising the Lord during that time.. I wouldn't be that generous, what a Grateful people :)
All their food and water had to be prepared ahead of time by canning (or something like it) or by drying it.  enough for an entire year- and  more, since they didn't have crops waiting for them as they landed.  The Lord blessed them with all they needed- they just needed to put in the work.  So why is getting my own Food Storage so hard??
Food Storage is important to me.  We have been commanded by our prophets to have the means to care for our families during times of trials.  I was told in my Patriarchal Blessing to always have a years supply so I can share with others. Plus- I know that during any emergency event- it is very possible for us to share with others- but very unlikely that they can share with US!  So along with the New Year and my New Goals- I have decided to be like the families' of the Brother of Jared and think "LONG TERM" not just buying a few extra boxes of cereal at the store.  I hope to save my money selling paper cakes and eventually a pressure cooker and a dehydrater.  Wish me luck!!!

Ever wondered why there was hole in the top AND the BOTTOM of the barges? I think the "Brother of Steve" aka DAD has a pretty good illustration  (  Here  )

Also - I took some time do study about the Urim and Thummim when I realized the Brother of Jared was given the first ones.  It was very interesting! For your own study and reading pleasure here is a small study list for you to look it up too!

The Bible Dictionary says the Hebrew translation means "Light and Perfections"

Ether 3: 22-28  "The Brother of Jared is given the Urim and Thummim"
D&C 17:1  "Joseph Smith uses the same ones of translate the Book of Mormon"
        
Mosiah 28  "Mosiah has his own Urim and Thummin passed down to him from generations, He uses it to translate the Jaredite plates found by the people of Limhi" ( **note: The people of Limhi did not bring back the U&T the Brother of Jared was given, I personally think Moroni found them during his wanderings so he could seal them up with the plates for Joseph Smith to find-- just my oppinion- no facts)

Abraham 3  "The Lord shows Abraham through a U&T  the following - Kolob, where God resides, is a great U &T. Kolob is governed by a greater "intellegence" and through Kolob He Governs the lesser "intellegence", and shows him the earth and stars and innumerable planets. 

Exodus 28:30 "Aaron is asked to make garments for the temple worship and sacrifices- The Lord explains how they are to be made.  He makes a breastplate set with 12 jewels representing the 12 tribes.  A U &T is set in the breasplate."

Leviticus 8:8 "Aaron and his sons are clothed in the robes of the priesthood and he wears the breasplate underneath with the U&T

Numbers 27:21 "The Priest Eleazar wears the breastplate with the U&T for Council and Judgement.

1 Samuel 28:6 "Saul tries to use the U&T - but they will not work for him- he is unrighteous"

and the cream of the crop:
D&C 130:7-11  The earth will be come like a clear crystal and be a Urim and Thummim in it's Celestail state, and will belong to Christ.  Each of us will be given our own U&T whereby "things pertaining to a higher kingdom will be made known ... with a more significant reference"

I won't go in more detail here- this is a public blog :) read it- you will be surprised! I am very thankful for all the work put into the Scripture Topical guides and Bible Dictionary :)

No comments:

Followers